Your earliest sense of independence

[ Go to bottom  |  Go to latest post  |  Subscribe to this topic  |  Latest posts first ]

Freeranger
Deleted user

Your earliest sense of independence

from Freeranger on 08/18/2015 02:39 AM

I'm talking waaaaay back.  Do you remember the first thing you were allowed to do yourself as a kid?  I do.    Growing up on a farm in southern Maine.....I remember my mother allowing me to go way out back in the fields with my dog......alone.  Just me, my dog, and a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich I made and put in a paper bag. 
It was early Spring, snow still hugged the tree line...but what an adventure for my dog and I.  Reaching the back field, examining the ground as we went, I remember reaching the trees, turning around and noting just how small the farm looked in the distance.
I chose a spot between two hickory trees on a small hill and, sat down to eat my sandwich.  Of course, my ever attentive friend had parked themself next to me, and I was obligated to share......
Lost in the reverie of my new found freedom, I remember sitting there and drinking in the quiet and the blue, blue sky.......I was lost in daydreaming.......and, it wasn't long before I heard the voice of my mother, calling me from the back side of the barn telling me to come in.  Too soon I thought but, the experience whetted an appetite that I suppose stands to this day.
So many places I wish to explore....

What do you remember?

Reply Edited on 08/18/2015 02:43 AM.

« Back to forum